Friday, November 18, 2016

Do you have people?




When times get tough, it's a good thing to have people. I have people. Some of my people sent me things this past week.

Diane made an envelope out of a magazine page and filled it with two of her collage pieces. They were created just for me. The wishes and sentiments fit me to a tea. 

That is what Keith sent me -- tea. Harney and Sons Capri. Even Harney (or the Sons) sent me a little something, two extra teabags.

A Wisewoman sent me a postcard that encouraged me to be myself and, strangely, full of tea.

Mindy sent a postcard too. "Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them but you know they are always there."

She says I am there for her too, even when I am in a mess. It's what you do. You are present for people who need you. When you can't immediately be present, you send your voice, your words, your wishes, or a little tea. Tea and sympathy.

My government and the people represented threw me for a loop. I suffered sexual battery as a child and was raped as a young woman. I've spent a lot of years trying to put that into a place inside me that is cushioned by therapy and soul work. That work enabled me to pull outside of myself and my own pain to help others who have suffered. I have encouraged others to get help. My recovery seemed something I could count on.

I forgot that recovery is a process. It's like remission, not a cure. And just like that, my future president says he can grab any woman's private parts because he is a star.

I found out that sexual predators are like stars too. You don't always see them but you know they are always there.

So I fell off the edge of my safe place on this planet. But I have people. My people make a tether to hold me close and pull me back.

Do you have people? #raiseyourhand Ask for help.
Do you have people? #lookforthehurting Be the help.

I will be here, drinking tea and writing words. You can sit with me.

4 comments:

  1. I am awfully glad you're still there, and I always enjoy sitting with you. I hope we can do mtore.

    Having people is such a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a big deal. I'm glad you are my people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a fine, valued, important person in this world. You add value to others. It's good that you receive it as well. Thankful for your existence and perseverance. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, just now reading this. I'm so grateful for you, Cyn. I'm sitting beside you in all of this.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to critique the poetry. I employ a sophisticated thick hide technology.