Friday, April 03, 2009

Church Days

inspired by Rach

I was a church-goin' girl.
Wednesday night and twice on Sunday
was pious enough for most.

I was a Saturday church girl.
Screamin' and throwin' things
made the quiet a balm.

I was a Tuesday mornin' pulpit girl.
Dragging a chair to see over.
Delivering a sermon to the dust motes.

I was a Thursday afternoon under the pew girl.
Old tile cool to the face, imagining the legs and feet,
wandering in my mind.

I was a summer day altar girl.
Do this in remembrance of the intended you
and for who you will become.

1 comment:

  1. Damn. That was impressive and fast. Impressively fast!!!

    (I'm dying to read the end of your story. Just haven't had a chance to sit down and savor it yet. Email me sometime - I'll be in your town the 13-16th of this month.)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to critique the poetry. I employ a sophisticated thick hide technology.