Friday, April 17, 2009

Jesus Saved Her

(I know someone who fits this a bit, but it is not me. My husband never raised his hand except to wipe tears of laughter from his eyes. And no one would think me a fundamentalist.)

When he stopped beating her
he got down on his knees
and he begged forgiveness.
He's been on his knees ever since.

One of those rare people
for whom the treatment works,
he gave it all to God and
never went back for it.

So don't you tell her that
her fundamentalist faith
is not scholarly or deep
that she is taking the Bible

too literally.

Because Jesus saved her
and her kids and
she is grateful for the miracle
and her reborn marriage

and her life.

5 comments:

  1. Very powerful. I know someone that fits this, too. Thank you for sharing!

    http://bsquared86.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-life-would-suck-wo-you-napowrimo-pc.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant to stop by and say that your link of ReadWritePoem wasn't working, too. You can delete this comment! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting perspective…

    Come discover what’s Gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:04 PM

    I don't know someone like this, but I've been in HER shoes. My faith was misplaced in believing he could change for ME LOL. He did for the second "Mrs." And I did when I found out what TRUE love was all about :o).

    Thank you for writing this!

    http://lori102870.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-your-absencenapowrimo-17-part-2by-me.html

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to critique the poetry. I employ a sophisticated thick hide technology.